- About Public Affairs
- Marketing Resources
- Public Speaking Resources
- Event Planning Guide
- News Media and Crisis Communications
- Campus Communicators
- Resource Library
To tell the Illinois story – transformative learning experiences, societal impact, discovery, scholarship and innovation – as well as focus on admissions recruitment and communications through a primarily event-focused social media platform.
This account is to act as the single, campuswide account, allowing the campus to highlight individual units and colleges rather than splinter off into separate Snapchat accounts.
Primary audiences: Prospective Illinois students, ages 14-18, and current Illinois students
Content: Brief, behind-the-scenes snapshots of Illinois campus life, innovations and events. As a general rule, no more than 10 “snaps” per story.
Since the campus Snapchat story will be event-based, we want content to be regular but not necessarily daily.
The Office of Admissions and their staff will be the primary managers of the Illinois Snapchat account, with regular strategy and content assistance from the Office of Public Affairs should the need arise. Other U. of I. campus units and colleges will be able to submit ideas for Snapchat stories to highlight their events on the official Snapchat account through the Office of Public Affairs and the Office of Admissions. Public Affairs will also be responsible for any crisis communication should the need arise.
1. Fill out a Webtools form requesting access to the Snapchat main accounts.
2. Short phone call or email with admins (either Admissions or Public Affairs) to work out when, where, how and how the story will be measured. Approval will either go through the Office of Admissions or Public Affairs, and both offices have the oversight to deny or accept submissions depending on if they meet communication goals.
3. Block off date in shared calendar
4. Public Affairs will create temporary password per each takeover, then reset the password to its original setting that only admins have access to.
5. All participants should save their Snapchat stories to their phones and share with admins for distribution. They will also be asked to measure how many views and screenshots their Snapchat story received at the conclusion of their event.
6. If necessary, Snapchat stories should be shared and promoted on other social media platforms and uploaded to YouTube
Short url for web form
Snapchat handle name
Although the Office of Admissions and Office of Public Affairs have creative oversight of the Snapchat account, Snapchat content may be created and curated by current students. Students will be selected by the Office of Admissions and Public Affairs and each student will be prepped on expectations and guidelines for helping to manage the account on behalf of the campus.
The success of a Snapchat story will be measured by how many times it was first viewed and last viewed within 24 hours, as well as how many times certain segments of the story were screenshot. We will also take into account any analytics we get from posting Snapchat photos and videos to other social media platforms, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- Mini-tour of campus
- Decision Day
- Quad Day tour
- Welcome Week
- What an Illinois visit looks like
- Admitted student open houses
- Sustainable Student Farm
- Admissions Application Campaigns
- Engineering Open House
- Behind-the-scenes look at the Altgeld Chimes
- Inside NCSA Blue Waters
- Top 5 tips for writing your admissions essay
Questions? Contact Kalee Ackerman or Meaghan Downs.