The News Bureau and its team of editors seeks out and promotes faculty research and expertise with news potential beyond the discipline, the campus and the local community. Tips for collaborating with the News Bureau.
The News Bureau also offers media training to assist faculty members, researchers, administrators, spokespeople and other University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign personnel in working effectively with the news media, from handling information requests to conducting interviews.
In addition, the Chief Communications Officer within each college, school or unit also may be able to prepare faculty members or researchers for media interviews.
News Bureau editors are also available for one-on-one media training with researchers who are contacted (or expect to be contacted) by major news outlets regarding the upcoming publication of research findings.
Media training topics:
- How the media works and what makes the news
- A spokesperson’s role as an administrator and/or faculty member
- Why it’s important to have a media relations expert on your side
- How to respond to media inquiries and interview tips
- How to craft key messages and communicate them effectively
- Typical reporter traps and how to avoid those traps
- Key aspects to radio and TV interviews
- Steps to take after the interview
To schedule a media training session for your unit, contact News Bureau director Steve Witmer at email@example.com.
Additional info and resources
The Associate Chancellor for Public Affairs is the primary spokesperson for the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Any inquiries regarding issues at the university administration level should be forwarded to Public Affairs at 217-333-5010 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Working with Journalists: Tips from American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Illinois Experts portal for research and scholarship
- News Bureau staff
Have a media relations topic you’d like added to this page? Email email@example.com with the subject line: Suggestion for the media training FAQ.